Sunday 10 June 2012

The Letter That Never Came

I have posted this song before and today I thought I would tell you the story behind it.



I was 10 years old when the film came out. That last scene, where the Baudelaire children receive the long lost letter from their parents, just stayed with me. The words of that letter are some of my favourite ones but it was the music that stayed in my heart. Now since the film came out in 2004 I wasn't so savvy in downloading that song or hearing it online but I would sing it to myself whenever I was alone from the fear that I might forget it.

For years that tune would play so clearly in my head but between these 8 years, time did get the better of my memory so it slowly started to fade. When it started to leave my memory a new song took its place, a very similar tune, but that bond I felt to the older song was so strong that I still needed it, still needed my song.

And even though in the recent years I know my way around the internet I didn't hear the song, until very recently. I was just sitting at my desk checking my email etc and then suddenly out of some distant place in my mind I remembered the song. The tune in my head was all cracked and broken, nothing like what it used to sound. So I quickly opened youtube, plugged my headphones and played it.

I just sat there in awe, it sounded so very beautiful. I felt like I was meeting my younger self, meeting a heart that I had known so well, a heart that is still inside me and was just waiting. I sat there at my desk crying such happy tears which I didn't think I was capable of.
If there was one song in the whole world that I would want to be this would be it. This is my song. It is one of the most important events in my life.

Here are the words that go along with this song, the letter that never came:


'Dearest children - since we've been abroad we have missed you all so much.
Certain events have compelled us to extend our travels. One day, when you're older, you will learn all about the people we have befriended and the dangers we have faced. At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say that there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough. And what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events may, in fact, be the first steps of a journey. We hope to have you back in our arms soon, darlings, but in case this letter arrives before our return, know that we love you. It fills us with pride to know that no matter what happens in this life, that you three will take care of each other, with kindness and bravery and selflessness, as you always have. And remember one thing, my darlings, and never forget it: that no matter where we are, know that as long as you have each other, you have your family. And you are home.' 







p.s- both the songs mentioned here are composed by the same person, Thomas Newman

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you.Do comment :)